Christian In Bangladesh

Personal blog from Bangladesh

বাংলাদেশে আছি খ্রীষ্টিয়ান

Monday 12 January 2009

At my door today

I didn't know until today, but Chappo, like Bimol, had arrived yesterday afternoon. They both come from 'my' village and are neighbours, but they had not travelled together. They both wanted to see a doctor and came via the only person they know at LAMB - me.
Bimol stayed at my house and we spent the evening together talking about his family and my recent visit there with friends from Denmark. He shared about his concern for his children; their education and the engagement of his oldest daughter. We talked out and he went to bed while I was still preparing today's lessons at my laptop.
Chappo stayed on the veranda in front of the under-fives clinic. Because she is a woman she couldn't have stayed at my house anyway so perhaps it didn't matter that I hadn't seen her. We couldn't have talked much anyway; her village Bangla is a challenge, to say the least, for me to understand.
Chappo has come almost every month for several years now. She has a chronic illness that requires her to take medicine every day. A former missionary pays for her medicine and travel every month. (400-500 Taka; GB£ 4-5, US$ 6-7 or DKr 30-40) This has made a tremendous difference in her life. The first time she came, Chappo looked much older than her 50 or so years.
Bimol didn't stay for lunch as his back pain didn't require much other than pain killers and the compulsory worm medicine we seem to give all patients at LAMB - I don't think they are related. He wanted to get home as soon as possible.
Chappo came to the school to find me after she had seen a medical assistant. There was something not quite right with her heart sound and a senior doctor had been called upon to see her. Chappo understood as little or less about what the medical assistant had said as I did of her Bangla; she did understand enough to be afraid.
I was able to find a staff member in the out patient department who made sure Chappo got seen and reassured her as best he could.
The doctor took Chappo off of the medicine that so changed her life after her first visit to LAMB; perhaps the abnormality of the heart rhythm is a side effect of the medicine. Before she left on her four-hour return journey, Chappo came to the school and thanked me for the help I had given her over the years - her gratitude is hereby passed on to the former missionary who has paid for the treatment.
She didn't need my advice, she just needed someone to listen to her fear and encourage her hope in God. Then she left on her own.
Chappo is facing the realities of death - please pray for her. I know there are millions like her, but Chappo was the one who came to my door today.

No comments: