Christian In Bangladesh

Personal blog from Bangladesh

বাংলাদেশে আছি খ্রীষ্টিয়ান

Monday 29 June 2009

No ghosts only evil spirits

Six year old Victoria turned my attention from 'The Last Mughal' by William Dalrymple with the statement. She and two friends were playing dominoes on my floor - building towers and discussing life.
At first I was shocked and asked her where she had heard that, but like all good children she was too loyal to tell, and when I had caught myself we talked about belonging to God and not needing to be afraid.
That was when my good Christian friend and neighbour Sprint who is also six gave me the second shock of the evening, 'I used to be afraid,' he told me, 'until my parents took me to the local which doctor who put an amulet around my neck. Now I am not afraid, but my [older] brother is still a little afraid.'
'Oh.' I managed to respond, not wanting to set him up against his parents.
The children continued their conversation with the two girls asking Sprint about when he had seen Jesus from his chest up in a cloud while they had been praying. The discussion was matter-of-factly and discussions ensued about whether Jesus' hair was long like that in the picture on Jonna's wall or shorter like in the Jesus film they have all seen.
They all agreed that there was a heart on his chest; not the popular one we usually draw, but one the shape of a fist with blood dripping from it. This is from a poster many Christians keep in their houses to ward of evil.
It was a rare moment of insight into the beliefs of my neighbours and friends through their children. I can reassure you that the names have been changed but am less sure there is much reassurance in there being no ghosts around being that there are still evil spirits.
Earlier today I received a phone call from a friend who had received a letter threatening him to move away from where he lives and has always lived - or face the consequences. The letter came in the mail but was not signed. When I reminded him that he would be protected here he replied, 'The laws of the country protect me, but the laws of the religion I left are clear about the consequences of leaving the faith.'
I will reassure myself that I have been baptised into the family of God and had the sign of the cross on my chest and my forehead as symbols that I belong to the One true God.
Pray with me that the children - and my friend; whatever the evil they may face will Know the power of the Almighty God who has overcome All evil.

No comments: